18 years ago, 18 years seemed like FOREVER. 15 years ago, this one still wasn't sleeping thru the night
. Reflux left us both sleep deprived and every early phase was a challenge for his little body. Then one day, his pain was gone and he became my "angel child." He was independent, strong-willed and determined, but tender, loving, thoughtful and kind. He was/is witty, smart and funny. And now every little recent phase has been a challenge for ME to be needed less, but I simultaneously stand in awe of how he is becoming the man that I always prayed him to be. I also never dreamed the distant future would actually arrive...Yet today he turned 18 
I know as much about letting him grow up as I did about what to do with him during the endless & sleepless nights for three years
I just loved him, snuggled him, and held him thru it...for three. years. He is a smart kid that has big goals and dreams that no doubt he will achieve.
He couldn't understand that when I look at him I still see a pint-sized giggling tow-head. What I wouldn't give to catch a glimpse of him in his Batman cape, or watch him at 4yo rolling his baseball pants to mimic a celebrity
I'd love to comfort his little body when he was so frustrated he couldn't articulate what he needed or watch him play as hard as he could until he collapsed into a nap on the spot
. He was such a good big and little brother and how sweetly he took care of me when I struggled with my own health. I miss watching his little self with sheer determination to master a sport, a card trick, a skill or work tirelessly doing a job knowing a reward was on the other end. He has been driven since day one. Yet, he has a very unique quiet humility that demands no praise or accolades. He just loves doing what he loves to do and prefers no public recognition for a job well done. {
}
He has probably challenged me most both physically and emotionally, but taught me the most as a mom realizing that although I have 3 boys, they are each uniquely special and fortunately or unfortunately not one of them is like me
. With a quiet demeanor and a tough exterior, he is truly a marshmallow inside and I love every piece of those sweet insides that only a special few get to see. He makes me a better person and he makes me oh so proud to be his mom.
Happy Birthday to my Luke. The middle child that never settles for less and always works harder and longer yet in doing so makes everything he does appear so effortless. I pray he always knows how much he is loved and that one day, those giggles and snuggles come back around
as he is the child that promised me at such a young age that he would be the one to take care of me in my OLD age.
That I will not forget.
#coolhandluke #Eighteen #sogrownup #lovehimsomuch #happybirthday
#coolhandluke #Eighteen #sogrownup #lovehimsomuch #happybirthday













No comments:
Post a Comment